So True...

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thing Seven

I grew up using computers in some format since elementary school. We would have a day where we would go down to the computer lab and play the ever wonderful Oregon Trail. As I grew we expanded our computer skills with going down to the school library and doing research on school projects via the Internet. I really began to be exposed in more depth to computers in 6th grade on up where we had keyboarding class. Learning all the new things that computers could do was fascinating and fun for everyone. So when it comes to instant messaging, email, text messaging, and the blog-like phenomenons Facebook/Myspace I am all too familiar. Although I hadn't done much instant messaging in some time, it is now an added feature to Facebook and so I have found myself bantering back forth with friends every now and again. I know that some find technology in general and especially the stuff the "young" people do intimidating or impractical, but they are much like the subjects we are learning of throughout "23 Things"; once you learn them, you may be addicted! Text messaging is useful in situations where you just need to let someone know something quickly like, " I'm here!" This is just a more convenient way (in my humble opinion) of communicating at times. The only thing I am not too familiar with would be the web conferencing. I tried to view a conference but it seems there are only designated days to view them and I currently do not have the luxury of internet at home so I just have to try again.

I think out of all the technological options discussed in Thing 7, the email is one of the most important for our work setting. We use it as a means to communicate within our library and to the outer branches. It is fast, easy and allows you the option of multi-tasking. We use this multiple times throughout the day to communicate to one another or to a large group of staff.

3 comments:

Linda said...

http://www.minitex.umn.edu/events/training/archived.asp

You can view any of the archived webinars at the address above on demand when you have the time. Not exactly the same as real time participation, but it will give you the idea.

Linda said...

Let's try that address again:
www.minitex.umn.edu/events/training/archived.asp

It seems to have been cut off the first time.

dpltech said...

I'm enjoying following your blog. For some reason I can't get it added as a link on my own blog, though I was able to get other DPL staff links. Inkdrinker